Chesapeake, VABasic Function: To supervise and coordinate of the movement of products between the loading terminal(s) and the customer’s facility in the most prompt and efficient manner possible. To see that all procedures and directives of management concerning dispatch are implemented
Reports to: Terminal Manager
- Possess sufficient written and communication skills as to be able to coordinate management directives, formulate & implement daily operations plans & initiatives, and inform & communicate with customers.
- Possess a working knowledge of and familiarity with computers, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Possess a geographic sense of market area
- High School, and at least 1 year of post-graduate work.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Dispatchers must know their area of operation, their customers, and the laws that pertain to their drives and equipment.
- Dispatchers must answer calls with a professional voice and pleasant greeting, and know their customers:
- Dispatchers must be aware that their actions, words, demeanor, and attitude directly impacts the safety performance of each driver, and their ultimate retention.
- Dispatchers must know the legal demands placed on the operation of their equipment and drivers.
- Dispatchers must know and properly utilize their drivers and equipment.
- Dispatchers must have a pre-determined, flexible plan as to how to get their job done.
- Capability to enter loads into the Dispatch System and maintain the Billing System.
- Dispatchers must strive for complete mutual cooperation and communications between the dispatch office and all other departments.
- All policies and decisions of management must be followed as if it were the dispatcher’s own. Also keep management advised as to the important issues that are occurring as the dispatch day progresses.
- All dispatchers will perform these duties and others as management prescribes, making decisions with the benefit of Eagle in mind. Sometimes, this will mean additional work or worries for their terminal, but will be greatly beneficial to the company.